Save the school bus

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the school bus.

2013-10-25 23:56

i have two grandchildren there its not fair to take this service off,disgusting Please re think this service for our children grandchildren , and all using this service

2013-10-26 07:43

What worries me most is the safety aspects of increased traffic particularly on wet days and also the additional stress on year 7's and their parents when the youngsters make that trasnsition to 'big school'

Jo

#3 Communication from Stagecoach

2013-10-26 09:38

This is the communication between Stagecoach & School:-
Stagecoach Service changes in the Cirencester Area from 10th November 2013
In May 2012, we decided to double the frequency between Cirencester and Swindon, a project we wanted to try for some time but which we had been prevented from doing with the effects of the recession. We created Service 53 to link the then existing Cirencester Town Services 58 and 59 with the Cricklade/Purton – Swindon service then being abandoned by another operator. Unfortunately despite injecting two extra buses and four drivers into the route, the results after 18 months indicate that less than half the costs of the improvement have been covered and it is with considerable reluctance that we are having to reduce these services down to the sort of level at which they were running previously whilst still retaining an hourly Purton – Swindon frequency and later evening journeys from Swindon to Cirencester. Service 51 will provide a link between Cricklade and Kingshill School in the morning and afternoon, serving South Cerney, Siddington and Cirencester Market Place. Stagecoach will no longer be providing journeys linking Stratton to Deer Park and Kingshill Schools at School times.
Sian

#4 Disgusting...

2013-10-28 07:54

A totally unsuitable decision, based on no factual evidence. Our young people cannot be expected to walk in all conditions the 2.5 miles to either school. This will directly affect the health and safety of young people, the traffic on the roads and the trust in local council services.

2013-10-28 08:22

Save this service to deer park

2013-10-28 22:02

Children will need to walk about 3 miles keeping to public footpaths, or 1 mile as the crow fly, Across fields and through Cirencester Park. Which is TOTALLY unacceptable in this day and age of HEALTH & SAFETY. I know the Government are trying to reduce obesity,By getting children to exercise more. but this is crazy.
Jo

#7 Response from Stagecoach

2013-10-29 18:52

On 29 Oct 2013, at 03:55 pm, "Ben Cole" wrote:

Dear Mr Williams

Thank you once again for your email in which you have clarified the requested information.

I appreciate you taking the time to calculate some values for the school service, however owing to commercial confidentiality I am not prepared to discuss in detail the specifics of our costs and revenues. I would like to explain that school services are one of the most expensive services to operate as they only run for 190 days but incur the overhead costs for a full twelve month period. As the schools would require services at our busiest time we would not be able to sufficiently utilise the bus outside of the peak hours operation to create the necessary revenues to cover all areas of costs for that vehicle.

The second point you make regarding the safety implications should be addressed to your local authority, as the footways and highways fall under their responsibility.

We informed the local authority on 15th October 2013 of the change scheduled for 10th November and if a requirement for education transport under their responsibility for social necessary transport was needed, then they would have an opportunity to put out to tender specifically for Deer Park School.

I apologise for the inconvenience this change will have but we could not continue operating this corridor at a loss.

Kind Regards

Ben Cole
Commercial Officer
Stagecoach West
Dawn

#8 Re: Response from Stagecoach

2013-10-29 19:58

#7: Jo - Response from Stagecoach

This was a comment from:

Stagecoach Group Chief Executive Martin Griffiths, July 2013

"What is your message to investors for the year ahead?
The Group is in great financial shape and we've made a good start to the 2013/14 year. The public transport market has long-term fundamental strengths and we have secured a leading position in a range of growing markets in the UK and North America. If you look at issues such as rising road congestion, increasing environmental awareness and higher car operating costs, all of these factors are positive drivers for our business. With a continuing supportive policy environment, I'm confident we can make bus and rail rather than the car the travel modes of choice for increasing numbers of people in the UK and in North America."

... hm... so taking AWAY school bus provision and forcing people back into cars .. at least here in Cirencester... doesn't exactly tally with promoting publie transpost over the car does it eh?

2013-10-31 11:42

There appears to be no logic in cancelling the only route that is full/over subscribed on the 53 run. It seems as though Stagecoach are penalising those who use the route the most! We have already had this route reduced, again with no consultation, and now futher amendments with no consultation and cynically advertised to conincide with half term presumably to delay/reduce this time for complaint.
common sense

2013-10-31 20:51

As a regular user of the 53 service in the morning, evening and indeed weekends I find some of these comments interesting to say the least. I was on the one that arrived in ciren market place this am at 8 am and there was me and 3 others on it. I got the 19.20 bus from the market place yesterday and there was me and 2 others on it. Even the 17.20 from the market place this eve had barely 10 people in it. As for the school run I was on the Friday 14.45 service from Swindon to ciren last Friday that picked up at the school and in the region of 20 kids got on, so hardly full. I personally have no axe to grind as I actually like the 53 service and use it 3 - 5 times a week but come on guys get the facts correct rather than sensationalist commentary.

And yes I regularly walked and cycled the 3 mile trip to the schools I went to with no problems for me or my chums what so ever.

Adrian

2013-11-01 07:08

To message 10, not sure if you are aware but it's half term. Could you go on the bus next Tuesday and do a 're count on the 8.10. Totally agree the other services don't make money and are acting as a service to those who can't drive which may also be at threat. Again another very needy service but not what this fight is focused on.

2013-11-01 21:32

I think its pathetic of stagecoach who has lots of bus to stop a vital service which is essential for young people to get to College and school. The bus is always full so how they cannot make a profit seems a lie; maybe the accountant needs to go back to school and learn maths

2013-11-03 10:59

When something bad happens how often do we hear an official, social worker, company boss saying we 'will learn by our mistake'. With winter and dark mornings and evenings approaching do we have to have a road casualty or an abduction or assualt of a child before Stagecoach reinstates the 53 Bus service to the two schools.

2013-11-05 14:33

I think it's ridiculous...after the school run has finished maybe they should use a smaller bus and that way there wouldn't be any empty seats. I use this bus service to get to work and will now have to go completely out of my way to get to and from work and home.
Not a Happy Customer.

2013-11-06 10:19

I use this route to get to town when the weather is bad and if i'm travelling to Swindon too. It would very extremely inconvenient to no longer have this route. The amount of traffic that travels to the schools and college is also a massive problem and may end up causing more road traffic collisions from the increased amount of traffic.

2013-11-07 08:08

The 53 service has always been full when I have used it. Just doesn't make sense withdrawing the service.