Reopen Harrison's Rocks Toilet Block

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Reopen Harrison's Rocks Toilet Block.

2013-11-03 10:56

I cannot believe it has come to this......... all my and Julie's hard work and commitment to the beauty of Harrisons

Terry Tullis

2013-11-03 10:59

I feel very passionate about this. I first came across Harrisons many years ago, and, on meeting my husband, Terry, have since then been "involved". I will support in any way I can

2013-11-03 11:13

Much needed

2013-11-03 11:50

This has been a facility which has allowed climbers and hikers to enjoy this beautiful peaceful place without destroying the natural surroundings. With that number of people visiting Harrisons Rocks it will just create mess and havoc in the surrounding area.

2013-11-03 13:19

It is essential that they are re-opened. thousands of people climb there and some travel quite a long way, with no public toilets nearby.

2013-11-03 17:26

Come on Sport England, Forestry Commission and the BMC. Between you, you hold the solution to this problem and it doesn't require rocket science to find the answer. Use a bit of common sense and put your heads together. This is an important facility for everyone who uses the woods, campsite and rocks, so for goodness sake lets see you co-operating to sort it!

2013-11-03 17:43

This area is a truly beautiful and historical one. The toilet block and the surrounding ground is an eyesore, attracting humans to toilet and leave their excrement for all to see. Please refurbish and reopen the toilets so that they can do justice to the environment they are in.

2013-11-03 18:07

Please don't let our crags become the midden heap that is Everest

2013-11-03 18:21

Why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar? This is a fantastic amenity, very popular over a wide area. The cost of repairing the toilet block is relatively small, and there are already many willing to contribute to the funding, and to help in ongoing maintenance. Let's not destroy what is an invaluable enticement to our young folk (and older fans!) to get out and enjoy our beautiful countryside.

2013-11-03 18:38

As someone who comes from this area, even though now living in Dorset I find this unforgiveable. good luck with the petition

2013-11-03 19:26

the combination of neglect and deceit by the authorities is disgraceful and if something is not done to correct the situation there will be a public outcry at the risk to health at this popular spot.
Choose a nickname

2013-11-03 20:03

This was the first place I ever climbed over 30 years ago, an amazing place with a great atmosphere. Julie Tullis taught my parents to climb here. Don't let this place fall into ruin - sign the petition please!

2013-11-03 20:25

It's has helped me boost my confidence with climbing

2013-11-04 04:16

The toilets, camp site and other facilities at Harrison's Rocks are a valuable and well used resource for climbers, walkers, local residents, Scout and Guide groups and other youth organisations. The facilities should be refurbished and properly maintained, not abandoned.

2013-11-04 10:46

very well said,keep the toilettes open and ban use of chalk
brixton climber

2013-11-04 11:12

shame that people are so durty.we would not need rubish bin.We also need dry toilette near to the crag, that would avoid lots of smelly things behind tree, then no more chalk would be a good thing too;
brixton climber
Rutha

2013-11-04 13:52

Keep it open

2013-11-05 16:57

This is an area which attracts hundreds of climbers at peak weekends and a facility which is enjoyed by many more. If a fraction of the money spent on the 'disneyfication' of the woodland was spent on these vital facilities they could be kept open. This is a silly economy measure which - as others have pointed out - breaches the conditions upon which the lease was granted.

2013-11-15 12:50

These toilets provide a vital role in encouraging a great range of users of Harrison's rocks, including climbers, walkers, scouts, Guides, school children. Closure would result in a decline in usage of the outdoor facilities and almost certainly an increase in litter and the hazards of human waste in the vicinity.

2013-11-16 23:42

I regulary walk in this area and am very sorry to see that this fantastic facility is no longer available to use.

2013-11-17 21:42

Don't it always seem to go
You don't know what you've got till it's gone.
Doug SCC

#97 Hope at last for Harrisons facilities!

2013-11-18 18:44

Great news about the result of our petitions at the 4th November BMC/Sport for Engand/Forestry Commission meeting. As a founder of The Sandstone Climbing Club in 1951 and instigator of the Julie Tullis Memorial Campground, but now unfortunately no longer active at Harrisons, it really sickened me to learn of the impending doom to these essential facilities. Great work by all petitioners - well done! But keep the pressure up to make sure of the continuing future of both the toilet block and the campground, but not forgetting,of course, the car park which presumably would be at risk if Sport for England abandonned the lease with Forestry Commission without an arrangement for BMC to take over the lease for the whole area. I wish well for all who care for the future of the facilities!
Doug Stone
FelixTheCat

#98 Keep The Loos Open!!

2014-04-01 16:40

Does anyone know the latest situation with the lavatory block? Is it open once more?
Average guy in the street..

#99 Just been reading these whole thread..

2014-04-01 16:52

I wonder how much the Chief Executive and his team are getting paid at Sport England.. and the Forestry Commision too.. How many 4x4 vehicles, air-conditioned offices, expensive AV and IT installations and an endless round of fact finding missions to hot and sunny destinations?

These quangos need to go. The idiots at the top couldn't run a bath, as evidenced by the torpor, inaction, ineptitude and sheer stupidity of their decisions. Get a grip and get the loos sorted. Go and read your own mission statement and get off your fat backsides and do some proper work instead of sponging money from public funds to ruin things for the taxpaying public.

Oh and another thing, the countryside is not a theme park, so stop treated it like one!