Save the "Current Use" of the Convent Guardroom

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the "Current Use" of the Convent Guardroom.

2013-04-22 15:47

This has been a guardroom for centuries, it has heritage value to the military history of the Rock and also the Royal Gibraltar Regiment. To perform the proposed alterations would be to destroy a national landmark.

2013-04-22 16:09

this guardroom has been there very long before i was born im near retirement and i wish my grandsons and grandaughter see the guardroom there where is now when they retire

2013-04-22 18:10

are they going to do the same as they did to the North Gate of the Dockyard? i served in the regiment and it was an honor to have matched out of the Guardroom towards No1 Post, please please for once let the powers that be in the government hear its people

2013-04-23 09:43

No6 has a perfectly good entrance round the back which can be converted....tradition would dictate this building remain as is and that the guard ceremony continue frm the same...after all...the ceremony dates back to the great siege which begun the process of cementing the character of what would become the Gibraltarian...i'm proud that the british took the Rock from the Spanish over 300 years ago and we have been thumbing our noses at them ever since....most of that time we've been able to do so because of the british line regiments stationed on the rock...I think that this very traditiuonal ceremony isnt a leftover of colonialism...but a representation of the military part of our past and culture..and it wouldnt be the same without this post and with civil servants streaming in amd out at will...

2013-04-25 18:21

preserve the building, list it, look after it - but do not change its function please!
Mario Alman

#6 Incredible

2013-04-26 17:32

It is inconceivable that the mounting and dismounting of the Guard taking place every hour can be carried out from a little side door, as cars drop off VIP visitors, people come into work at No 6 and drop off their tender documents. How this can all happen without detracting from an already diminished ceremonial function is inconceivable. I have no doubt that the MOD and the current CO have agreed to it, they all have their vested interests in keeping No 6 happy, the MOD will be glad to get rid off the maintenance costs. Hopefully they'll hand the Governor's private church at King's Chapel over too. Am impressed that the starter of the position resigned from his position as Regimental Secretary in order to take on this crusade. Not for the first time has he courted the wrath of the powers that be, the last one being his stance on the renaming of important streets in the town.

2013-05-11 09:33

It's part of our history ..... just for once leave well alone!!

#8 More Heritage Lost?

2013-05-11 09:35

Do we ever learn? In Gibraltar, we have heritage that other countries would give an arm and a leg for, yet we continue disregarding it and doing things like this. Hands off our heritage!

#9 Don't change for the sake of change!

2013-05-11 09:46

The Guardroom is fine as it is, no need to change for the sake of it.

2013-05-11 09:48

We must always have our Eyes open to the Past, or we will be Blind, in Both Eyes, for The Future.
M Thompson

#11 Dismayed

2013-05-11 09:52

Such a significant, iconic and popular landmark should not be altered in any way or form! For over a century, this has been used to host the Changing of the Guard. Making the Guardroom the new entrance of Number Six will change this traditional military tradition - which will look rather out of place and disorderly if it took place at the current entrance to Number Six Convent Place (the Changing of the Guard is also part of our British Heritage - do you want to unnecessarily change this too?). I believe that it is best to leave the Guardroom as it is, with its current use. Having been enjoyed by many in its history up until the present day, it should continue to be appreciated and enjoyed - as it is - by future generations. Leaving the building alone will not only preserve this unique piece of heritage, but save the Government having to spend a large amount of money unnecessarily to make a grander and more pompous entrance to Number Six Convent Place (which the building does not need) - money that could be better spent elsewhere (e.g. preserving/fixing other heritage sites).

#12 Heritage

2013-05-11 10:11

It's part of Gib's heritage, we should leave it alone.

2013-05-11 10:25

I am very proud to have done duty at the convent like hundreds before me

2013-05-11 12:08

We should be proud of our heritage - we shouldn't let this atrocity take place.

2013-05-11 17:44

Sign the petition to save our heritage!

2013-05-11 18:26

This can't be, I proudly stood guard there a long time ago during my time in the Regiment. We should not allow this desecration to take place!

2013-05-11 22:32

Convent Guardroom has been used as a guardroom for many years and is of historic and heritage value. If the GoG needs a better entrance to their offices they can build it some where else!

2013-05-12 08:07

This is a historic building, and it'd be a pity if the Government go ahead with this....

2013-05-12 10:11

Save the Convent Guardroom!

2013-05-12 11:14

this has been a guardroom for the convent guards for over one hundred years, it should stay as it is

2013-05-12 22:15

Why do we keep on disregarding our heritage like this in Gib? The Guardroom should retain its current use.

2013-05-12 23:16

Keep on signing people! :)

2013-05-13 15:44

Don't let this atrocity take place! Why does No.6 need such a fancy entrance? No6 is fine as it is. Leave the Convent Guardroom alone - I hope the Govt of Gibraltar reconsiders its plans.

2013-05-13 21:16

More heritage and traditions going out the window :(

2013-05-14 15:53

What is the government thinking? This is a terrible idea! The money is better spent elsewhere