Witham Drum Corps

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Witham Drum Corps.

2016-06-10 18:17

Something that does good for the children of the community should not be shut down because of a couple of misserable so and so's.
It is not like it goes on late at night.

2016-06-10 18:34

People complain about children roaming the streets or spending too much time using games consoles etc. We should be encouraging our young people to participate in activities such as music and sports rather than causing problems for them

2016-06-10 18:50

I love to hear the children practising. Over the weeks you can hear the improvements and enjoyment. I can't think of a better education and the school surely must support this.

2016-06-10 18:52

Because it's a hobbie for most people and no one should be stopped for having a hobbie or a talent!

2016-06-10 18:56

Kids need a little help sometimes and these are not hurting anyone.

2016-06-10 19:14

Pathetic individuals complaining about nothing.
OAP

2016-06-10 19:56

Why did not the school fight this themselves? They should, of all people,  know how good this sort of activity is for educating kids further. Why is a small number of people able to stop something that the kids love and enjoy doing. There is precious little as it is for the kids to do here and now there is nothing for 11+. This is so sad for our kids.

2016-06-10 20:00

son goes to drum corps

2016-06-10 20:17

The kids are doing something constructive, stop complaining and let them get on with it. Would you rather have them make a nuisance of themselves on the streets?
They can put your village on the map

2016-06-10 21:17

Because as a community we need to have organised recreation for young people, keep them off the streets and as a community show that we care about them enough to listen to their needs.

2016-06-10 21:25

I'd like to think if both my grandsons wanted to join the group it would be better to have an interest than hanging round the streets at night.were these few saddo ppl never children ? Leave the group alone

2016-06-11 01:09

I didn't know this club existed until I saw the announcement of it being forced to close down. This is such a wonderful idea for the young generation in our village. We have all experienced what the kids turn to when they are bored and left to do what they like, and yet some people would rather that then to have our children learn new skills, make new friends, learn respect for themselves and to others and to learn commitment. Vital life skills of today. 

2016-06-11 06:29

the complainants need to join in, they would clearly benefit from the stress relieving properties of hitting something for an hour a week. These kids are learning discipline and teamwork, why would you not want that to happen?

2016-06-11 06:38

Tom Broadley does an amazing job with the kids in the Drum Corps, they sound amazing, the kids love it and it provides an amazing opportunity for them. They do not practice late at night, it only lasts for an hour and the overwhelming majority of people would agree against a hand full of people who don't like the noise! To stop it for those few people, when it is such a valuable and enjoyable club for the kids, was wrong and unjust!

2016-06-11 08:21

As a young girl I played the drums in a local kids marching band. It gave me a sense of belonging and pride as I played at local community events. People complain when kids hang around the streets making a nuisance of themselves and this is exactly why we should support activities like these. It annoys me when a small amount of people can complain and effectively stop something which is doing good for our youngsters.

2016-06-11 11:54

They are doing something useful with their time and not just booted teenagers making a nuisance of themselves

2016-06-11 13:46

I am more than happy to sign this petition. It would be such a shame if the group is not allowed to continue. My grandson is a member of Witham Drum Corps and, along with the other members, is very committed to its success. Many residents comment on how much they enjoy hearing them play.

2016-06-11 14:05

Words fail me, I am surprised that the school did not carry out a little more consultation before knee jerking into a rash decision to close the drum corps. We should all be encouraged that our local children are doing something really positive for themselves. How often do we as adults complain about the youth of today spending so much time inside there homes with there electronic gadgets. The drum corps give them an opportunity to not only learn a different skill, but also get some fresh air and exercise. We are constantly being told that our children are becoming more obese and here is an opportunity not to be missed to help counteract this. Perhaps the few complainers would like to reconsider the situation.

2016-06-11 16:12

20 years ago all four of my daughters belonged to an award winning marching band who operated out of the primary school right in the centre of Newark. The practice sessions were twice a week in the evening and in the Summer they utilised the playground. This was in a built up area but no complaints were ever made. All this time later their own children were in this drum band, encouraged to do something other than watch tele and play on ipads and what happens, complaints are made by who knows who and the headteacher/pta or governing body cave in to a few selfish people and withdraw the facility. At the same time on the Witham facebook page there are constant complaints about young people out of control. Certain members of the 'community' need to look hard and long at their actions. Younger children need to develop their interest in this sort of activity and by belonging to such a group will slso take some ownership of there surroundings and the people around them. The school as part of the community should have defended this group. I have seen them practising and know they were improving all the time. Concerned Grandma

2016-06-11 16:59

We live in one of the houses that backs onto the school field, I love listening to the group practice and am disgusted that people have complained. We probably are best placed to comment on the level of noise, and I can confirm that it does not disturb us at all. I hope this petition is successful in reversing the decision, I am really disappointed that I won't be able to hear the group practicing on a weekly basis any more.

2016-06-11 19:33

Ridiculous that people have no patience for the kids learning to play. It's not as if it's daily ! I hope the school reconsiders and stands up for the kids

2016-06-11 19:36

Because the club was only withdrawn originally from the complaints of a smal minded minority and has left many young children in the village very disappointed.

2016-06-11 20:48

The kids need to have something to do. Group activities like this help them learn a sense of discipline as well as giving them the chance to make new friends. It's great that someone is prepared to give up their time to teach the children of the village something a bit different.

2016-06-12 15:05

children need to be encouraged not discouraged

2016-06-12 15:06

Young people need activities like this, learning a skill in a group activity, organised by fantastic adults who give up their time to teach them. Why do a few complaints from residents have to shut it down? I bet most of the residents have no problem with it. It's not as if they are playing every day, and besides, they sound great!