Pro lingua Latina in Jyväskylä

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Pro lingua Latina in Jyväskylä.

2016-04-12 11:28

It is very short-sighted to cut Latin from the university curriculum: it is not only the basis of a number of modern languages but an essential tool in many branches of historical and linguistic research.

2016-04-12 16:02

It would be a big shame to finish latin in the University of Jyväskylä. This way we would forget our Western history an our Western culture. Remember all the great Latinists in the University in the course of years!

2016-04-12 17:41

Latin is necessary for the Study of Languages. It provides logical and stylistic skills. It should be kept. Besides, I know the Section for Latin and Romance Languages in Jyväskylä, and have always appreciated the high skills of both staff and students; please, keep it!

#4 Latin

2016-04-12 18:06

The Section for Latin and Romance Languages at the University of Jyväskylä is internationally renowned and has over the years hosted or contributed to a number of high profile international collaborative research project. Finland would seriously endanger this outstanding research environment if Latin were to be aboslished as a curricular subject at the University of Jyväskylä.

Jakub Kujawinski

2016-04-12 18:18

Apart from all 'high' reasons, of which we are all well aware, I would point out two other, perhaps more convincing for those, who claim to be worried about competititvity and financial condition of our university: 1) the Section for Latin and Romance Languages has been highly successful in raising external funds over last years, as proved by the projects financed the Academy of Finland; 2) the English classes in Ancient and Medieval Latin culture offered by the Section attracted not only Finnish students but also foreign students, who were either sincerely interested in the subject, or simply needed credits, since Latin, Latin Literature, Ancient History and Medieval Studies are curricular subjects at most European universities.

2016-04-12 18:31

I gave lectures on history of ancient medicine in Jyväskylä and the students were very interested in ancient world, Greek and Latin culture, and of course language.

2016-04-12 18:38

1977 I wrote magna cum laude and I was the last latin Writer in Suomussalmi
By latin I can see the world by different way for example: kahdeksan. yhdeksän.

2016-04-12 20:41

Latin is a vital language not just for historians and linguists, but its study cultivates the critical, analytical, and creative parts of the brain.

In addition, Finland has a reputation internationally as a country that fosters world-class linguists, including latinists. It is embarrassing to tell international colleagues who praise Finnish latinists that the language suffers from cuts and reduced education in the country that houses the best education in the world according to PISA.

2016-04-12 21:36

I don't want the quality of education and culture to go down and be degraded in my country Finland, where people have always considered education one of the basic values of our existence and success as a nation.
Benjamin Hübbe

2016-04-13 06:17

Abolisching Latin as a curricular subject from the University of Jyväskylä would mean to remove a key tool for the study of language history, for language learning and for several research fields that deal with the history of mind in Europe in general. Seeing such multilingually versed and experienced students and staff members here at the University (and in particular at the Department of Languages) does the idea of abolisching Latin seem nothing but a paradox. Latin is an important and fundamental subject for every University that maintains an international status and a multilingual programme.

opiskelija MTK:sta

#11 Latinaa tarvitaan

2016-04-13 06:26

Latinaa tarvitsevat muutkin kuin kielten ja historian opiskelijat. Matemaattis-luonnontieteellisessä tiedekunnassa ekologian alan opiskelijoille kuuluu pakollisena osana opintoja kasvien latinankielisten nimien opettelu. Nimien opettelussa latinan osaamisesta on apua. Myös muilla lajintuntemuskursseilla latinan osaamisesta on hyötyä.

2016-04-13 06:56

Nonne sunt Latinae litterae fons paene omnium litterarum nostrarum, radix imaginationum et propriarum conceptionum eorum qui in occidentalibus orbis terrarum partibus degunt, optimum instrumentumù ad ingenia puerorum exercenda, solus nexus inter eos qui ad communem ut ita dicam Europaeam mentem colendam contendunt?
Dominique Poirel

2016-04-13 07:20

For several years, I have been teaching critical edition in Rome (http://fidemweb.org/deem/). I often had students from the University of Jyväskylä. They were generally very good ones and it would be a pity to put to an end such a flourishing field of knowledge at Jyväskylä. Latin language and classical humanities are not only about "dead" languages: it is about the common roots of European civilization and universal humanism: that is what it is so urgent to preserve in the hard times we know now.

2016-04-13 07:44

Le latin a été la « langue véhiculaire européenne » – voire universelle – par excellence dans la diffusion des savoirs et des cultures à l’échelle du Moyen Âge et de la Renaissance. Il appartient au patrimoine de l'ensemble de l'Europe et, à ce titre, est indispensable à la formation des générations futures de cette Europe.

2016-04-13 11:38

I entirely agree with the arguments presented by the initiators of this petition. Jyväskylä has great humanistic traditions since the days of the Teacher Training College. A university that gives teaching in humanistic subjects such as languages and history cannot do without Latin, the mother tongue of Western civilization. The University of Jyväskylä has had excellent chairholders in Latin; it would indeed be a great pity if the teaching of Latin and research on it would come to an end in Jyväskylä.

2016-04-13 12:32

Huh huh. Jokin raja säästämisessäkin.

2016-04-13 13:11

Las lenguas clásicas proporcionan el mejor recurso para el ordenamiento mental y la fluidez expresiva. Contribuyen poderosamente a organizar las argumentaciones. Amplían poderosamente la interacción cultural en un marco de globalidad. Todas las fuentes resultan insustituibles. Sin ellas no habría circulación. ¿Qué podría reemplazar a los orígenes?

2016-04-13 13:23

Supprimere linguas classicas et earum usum est stupiditas ingens. Unusquisque eruditus vel vere doctus hoc sponte sua intelligit.

2016-04-13 13:34

Sine lingua latina Europa exsistere non potest !

2016-04-13 18:28

Linguae classicales vivant in perpetuum!

2016-04-13 19:01

I think Latin is necessary for humanities, for studying languages and civilizations. It is a pity that governements, especially in Europe, are now destroying it.

2016-04-13 20:47

Latinan kieli on loistava pohja muille kielille ja sen ymmärrys edesauttaa yleissivistystä todella paljon. Terveisin pitkästä latinasta valtavasti hyötynyt.

2016-04-13 21:51

Well, while we're at it, shooting at your own foot should become the new University sport. 

...Oh, wait, is 'University' too latin? Might as well change that name too to the "Economic Crisis Lab" of Jyväskylä. Open call for all utilitarian project proposals! Cuts on culture and welfare preferred, not mandatory.

2016-04-13 21:52

Nisi docebitur lingua latina ubique in Europa, periclitabitur cultus civilis noster, neque impedire poterimus, quominus nova tenebrarum aetas adveniat. Non decet humanitates renuntiare, nefas est.

2016-04-13 22:24

Latin is an extremely important language to know, it helps across many disciplines in many ways.