FACEBOOK – NO PLACE FOR GYPSY/ROMA/TRAVELLER HATE PAGES

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition FACEBOOK – NO PLACE FOR GYPSY/ROMA/TRAVELLER HATE PAGES.

Lisa <3

#26 Racism,Violence and Abuse has got 2 STOP

2011-03-02 21:39

My Grandparents allways hoped that this racism 2wards us Gypsies would end 1 day but alas i find it is still very much part of our every day lifes.It makes me sooo sad to think that there is sooo much hatred still in this world and all we want is 2 live in peace. I pray every night that, one day hopefully, those who cause us sooo much pain with their abuse will understand that we are HUMAN BEINGS and DO NOT deserve 2 be treated in such a disgusting manner. Angel Blessings to u all.
Emma Harris

2011-03-02 22:03

There is room on this planet for everyone!
Bill BIla

#28 This must include hate pages against Roma in other languages

2011-03-02 23:09

There are dozens of such hate sites written in Czech and Slovak. These people think they are expressing freedom of speech and they do not understand that there is a difference between freedom of expression and hate speech. Facebook must do a better job of monitoring for such activity. It is awful to read indignant remarks against Roma written under the influence of ignorance. Misinformation will always have a target audience which chooses to perpetuate a misinfomred point of view, however hateful remarks must not be tolerated. If these people do not have access to information that would allow them to acquire the knowledge to discern between the two, it is irresponsible for a public media to accept their ignorance as the basis for allowing such postings to remain in the public domain. Perhaps an international slander and libel lawsuit is in order in the courts of the UK if Facebook cannot self-monitor.
Patricia Randall

#29 Gypsy/Roma?travellerf Hate Pages

2011-03-02 23:12

As someone with many gypsy friends I really welcome this iniative to bring to the notice of Facebook management the very abhorrent nature of some individuals comments, many of which are unfounded and ill informed.

Tara Fisher

2011-03-02 23:34

Lack of action by Facebook is encouraging these small-minded attitudes; what a disgrace.
Desiree Meats

#31 About time

2011-03-03 02:03

I have been appalled these last few months with the prejudice the gypsy community has to put up with. I was not privy to this until I made a few traveller friends, only to find out that there are facebook pages that openly call for violence against that community. Propaganda type accusations which Joseph Goebbels would have been proud of. HAve we forgotten the valuable lessons Nazi Germany taught us? Have British soldiers died in vain to overthrow these type of activities? Have we forgotten Auschwitz -Birkenau, Maidanek, Sobibor, Treblinka and the othercamps where not only 6 million Jews but also 3 million gypsies, a much larger percentage of the total gypsy population than even the Jews? Is it really that long ago that we forget the lessons? Are we falling into the 'who does not learn from the past, is destined to repeat it'. Lets take a stand and show that people running facebook care about every community in the world, not just the ones where discrimnation would cause outrage in the papers. The page about the Stonehaven travellers is a case in point where. Facebook should have pulled the plug before they were made aware of the fact that the founders of the page where inciting lynching, preventing families from getting basic food supplies and even suggesting that there were peadofiles amongst the men on the site. Personally I am disgusted that the monitors of the site did not pick up on this.
A concerned non gypsy, who believes that human rights are for everyone, not just the people who scream the loudest.
John Hayes

2011-03-03 03:02

Although Roma hate pages specifically a US issue, there's enough hate to go around in the States, & we should take a stand to demand that Facebook crack down on hate speech & calls to violence. These are not protected speech under the First Amendment.
ANN KELLY

2011-03-03 13:08

my name is Ann, never had any probs. with traverlers or gypsy,after watching mbfgw on tv, which i know was edited for t.v. entertainment. I joined the page to leave comments about the show. on this link over time i made friends with all cultures, who now on my friends list.This page is still running.The abuse on this page is shocking,myself and others have complained to fb to no avail.The page is now taken over by haters, i know i shouldnt but i sometimes have to comment, which makes me feel im lowering myself to their standards.some monitering has to be done on such pages.Good luck.....xx
chloe needtoknow

2011-03-03 14:11

this said about any other culture and there would be wars.. But we know who the bigots are..
Nina Wenman

2011-03-03 15:42

stop racism
jennette smith

#36 Racism

2011-03-03 16:29

This has to stop ..xx
Tim Jones

#37 Hate Pages against Romani Gypsies and other groups

2011-03-03 17:06

Romani Gypsies were among the victims of the holocaust. They should have at least as much protection from race hate as any other group.
shaun,micheal

2011-03-03 17:36

stop rascim !!!!1
Eileen

#39 Re: Hate Pages against Romani Gypsies and other groups

2011-03-03 18:37

#37: Tim Jones - Hate Pages against Romani Gypsies and other groups 

I totally agree.... STOP this racism agaist an easily targetted group.

shazz marriott

#40 racism must stop .

2011-03-03 19:23

we must pull together to stop this hatred ,
Tracie Giles

2011-03-03 21:49

Great idea x
Anne Laure Champenois

#42 Live and let live

2011-03-03 22:12

No place for facist
curtis jeffery

#43 good luck

2011-03-03 23:04

i pray the situation gets better in u.k
Catherine Fitzpatrick

#44 FB Hate Pages

2011-03-03 23:49

Facebook needs to become the liberal mainstream platform where people go for civil, accountable socializing and organizing. That means adhering to the TOS which prohibits incitement of hatred to others on grounds of race, political affiliation, sexual orientation, class status, etc.

I'm for the First Amendment, and I'm for services in a free market creating First Amendment-level service agreements that permit any speech that does not incite imminent action. So hate pages that are a form of extreme discussion not inciting hatred might go on such another platform with a higher threshold for First Amendment compliance.

I don't think FB, as the largest commercially viable platform should be required to enforce the First Amendment regarding hate speech.

For that, there's always Youtube comments : )
Lizzy Anderson

#45 Sighn Petittion

2011-03-04 00:06

Please sighn this petition, there should be no hate towards anyone who ever they are.
Ronald Lee

#46 Gypsy/Roma/Traveller Hate Pages

2011-03-04 01:43

The practice of allowing the publishing of hate material against Gypsies/Roma/Travellers or any other ethnic, religious or cultural group should not be permitted on Facebook.
Susan Chalcroft

#47 No place for Gypsy/Roma/Traveller hate pages.

2011-03-04 05:21

Everyone must be treated with respect. Everyone must be free to practice their culture and lore. Do what thou wilt and harm none. Respect human rights, the rights of the child, indigenous rights. Respect the planet you live on and the rich and diverse life forms.
Frank Bowman

#48 Nomad living

2011-03-04 10:07

We are born to live on the Earth. We were not born to live in space. Why do we have to pay an admission fee to live? And why must we pay our whole lives to live on the planet we were born on?
Gypsy Message Board

#49 Keep hope - a change is gonna come

2011-03-04 11:28

I was born by the river in a little tent
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

Oh there been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will
Lynne Tammi
The author of this petition

#50 Re: Keep hope - a change is gonna come

2011-03-04 11:44

#49: Gypsy Message Board - Keep hope - a change is gonna come

Come the day the world is free from prejudice, GMB.