Pensford Tennis Club - floodlights petition

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Pensford Tennis Club - floodlights petition.

2014-07-26 21:46

The additional floodlights would make a big difference to play at the club but hardly any difference to the bats - the reason that the first application was refused.
Batty over lights

#2 Do we want to to save the bats or have healthy kids and people?

2014-07-26 23:11

You cannot be serious....

#3 Lights

2014-07-27 06:25

As a schoolteacher I saw the increase in childhood obesity on daily basis, to block the chances of increased participation in sport and more young children getting regular exercise is a crime. Pensford is a family club with strong links to local schools,

2014-07-27 08:52

It will be great to have more opportunity for local families to play tennis.

2014-07-27 11:30

We play tennis at this club but are also keenly interested in the welfare of wildlife in the Pensford Field nature reserve which our house backs onto and which is next to the courts. There is already lighting on some courts but it is never on later than 9.30 (daylight hours in summer time) and I cannot believe that either wildlife or neighbours (and we are among the closest) would be in the least inconvenienced by this proposal.
Going bats?

#6 Will the Council show some common sense?

2014-07-27 20:31

I'm all for trying to enhancing ecology in the right places, but there are negligible bats in this location due to the surrounding existing houses and street-lights. These have been there for 90 years! Turning down the application in the vain hope a few more bats turn up would clearly be ridiculous.

2014-07-28 08:22

Whilst we continue to build on playing fields (witness the school on Townmead Road which used to be a play area)we are under an obligation as a society to make sporting facilities available wherever we can by other means.

2014-07-30 10:39

Whilst the club's existing three floodlit courts are adjacent to houses on three sides of the site, only one of the additional three floodlit courts would be adjacent to houses.
I have never seen a bat whilst at the club and I have been a member for over 15 years.

2014-07-30 15:23

I'm a club member (and was for many years a LB Richmond resident). Lights on cts 4-6 will enable more use to be made of the club without any noticeable detriment at all to neighbours or wildlife.

2014-08-11 00:34

abcdef abcdef

Being one of the tennis coaches at the club, I am in a position to see how the tennis courts are used on a daily basis throughout the year.

3 extra flood lit courts especially in the winter when it gets dark early, would make a big difference for the club and it members. It would allow families to exercise and spend more time together. Teenagers as well as young adults would be able to play tennis in the evenings with their friends and siblings, work on social skills and at the same time spend less time on the streets or in front of computer, surfing the net or playing video games for too long. Working adults who can only play in the evening would benefit too.

Present situation simply makes it very difficult for families with young kids, teenagers, young adults and working adults to play tennis after school/work in their own arrangement.

The new flood lit courts would also enable coaches to respond to the demand for coaching and  provide individual and group lessons in the evenings during the week which at present is almost non existent. This could potentially lead to employment of new coaches too.

I am sure it is important to preserve the bats which I have not seen so far but have seen hundreds of parakeets. They have greatly increased in numbers in a very short period of time and maybe soem effort would need to be put in controlling their rapid growth in numbers.