Make sheppey bridge safe to cross

Professional Driver

/ #127

2014-07-02 00:30

Such a tragic loss of life. However, lets get this straight. There is nothing wrong with the bridge. I drive over it every week day in my lorry, and never once has the bridge tried to make me crash. It's never swayed from side to side, or jumped up and down. That leaves the people that use it. There are calls for the bridge to have lights installed. Maybe, but you do have headlights on your car, and this accident was in daylight. A speed restriction maybe. Well to the person moaning about lorries, I would be going over the bridge at the same speed as I do now, 50! Warning signs. Not a bad idea. Although, by the time they are activated, it's usually too late. And referring back to the big pile up in the fog, if you need a sign to tell you it's foggy, then maybe you shouldn't be driving!! A hard shoulder? Unless you reduce the road to a single lane, this is impossible! I have a couple of suggestions. Drive more carefully. Concentrate on what you are doing (for those that don't know, that's driving) Get off your bloody mobiles ( I followed a woman past the accident today, who was texting. apart from, strangely, when she went past the Police) Take those bloody ear phones out, and stop scanning through your ipad. So lets wait till we know the full facts of the accident before we condemn the Sheppey Crossing, which, after all, is just sitting there, being a bridge.