Pattenmakers

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Pattenmakers.

Senor Kev

#26 Best [Pub I've been in

2014-01-10 18:13

I went in this pub as a stranger, now I am a friend of all including the staff and clients (I think they believe I'm still strange). It's a superb place. Always go in for 1 drink and stay for 3.

2014-01-11 12:18

This is a brilliant pub, and Claire and the team do an outstanding job. If they can't make it financially viable, nobody else will be able to, so Enterprise Inns should recognise the consequence of their actions will be closure. This would be a very sad day for Duffield.

2014-01-11 13:11

This situation has been going since the Beer Orders gave too much
power to the Pub Groups like Enterprise and Punch Taverns . They have overcharged for all products that were tied into the contracts . Also charged extortionate rents which ultimately meant that the business would struggle to make a decent return on investments .
Why exaggerate?

2014-01-11 15:55

Something not quite right here. Duffield Scene Rent £33,000 - DT Rent £23,450.
Duffield Scene quotes buying price straight from landlord's price list. Original GMB story says £50 per barrel discount given. Landlord's website says £85 discount given.
Nothing wrong with a campaign, but should be based on true figures, surely.
Emily Bowler
The author of this petition

#30 Good points...

2014-01-11 16:38

Hello 'why exaggerate' good points there. I will get to the bottom of these confusing figures and conflicting discounts and hopefully clarify everything. Let me talk everything through and come back to you.

2014-01-11 18:05

A group of four travel from Nottingham on train every two weeks ( Wednesdays ) to go to the patternmakers why when we can go to any town centre pub or bar that's on our door step well the reason is simple great pub superb ales and fantastic staff You can't get that combination anywhere else in Nottingham or Derby
Emily Bowler

#32 Reply to Why Exaggerate?

2014-01-11 19:22

Hello, thankyou for raising some great questions.
I have some replies for you I hope they help you understand a little better.
We are hosting a public meeting at the Weston Centre in Duffield on Friday the 31st January at 2pm. Any of these type of questions are very welcome and we would like to be able to answer them for you.
Rent: The rent Enterprise are demanding as of April is indeed £23,450. The figure of £33,000 is also accurate. What has caused this is Enterprise Inns forcing us to use thier insurance, thier accountants, thier cellar maintenance and gas engineers amongst other things. Clearly Enterprise are also attempting to 'tie' us to other utilities and essential functions of the business which are more expensive through them. Adding these factors to the rent of £23,450 brings it to a total of £33,000 payable to Enterprise Inns.
I'm sorry you feel we have exaggerated this was not the intention.
Discounts: Firstly we don't sell Landlord because it's too expensive for us!
The discount of £50 a barrel that we receive is not based on what you imagine a barrel to be, its based on the trade definitions. A barrel in the trade is 36 gallons, thereas we typically use what is known as a firkin, which contains 9 gallons. So if you work that out what we receive on what is for most pubs a standard barrel size is actually a discount of £12.50. Not very helpfull to us considering the sky high prices Enterprise charge.
I can provide further price details and information to you if you would like them but I need time to find all our pricelists to give you relevant examples.
I'm not sure where the information on Landlord's website is or who it relates to but £85 discount per barrel is not what we receive. Different Enterprise pubs get different levels of discounts and support. I cannot speak for them as to how they decide who gets these discounts, however this is an issue we will raise in the public meeting.
I hope you can attend the meeting as it appears you have some genuine and intellegent questions.
I hope I have helped clarify things for you
Why exaggerate?

2014-01-12 09:57

Emily - You might want to have a look at the Enterprise website. The pub was up to let last week at £23,450 and £85/barrel discount; now it's on for £21,500 and £61 - a better deal than your're being offered, but less attractive than last week! To be fair should you not just count the extra cost of the things that Enterprise charge for, rather than the total cost? You would always have to pay something for gas engineers, accountants, insurance and so on. I understand the barrel definition, but if something's costing you say £450 why say it's £500?
claire muldoon

#34 Re:

2014-01-12 10:43

#33: Why exaggerate? -

my accountants cost me 1400 per year , were as the accountants we would be forced to use cost 3000 per year , as you are prop aware my husband runs a freehouse so its easy for me to compare prices , the gas testing and all the other add ons would be half the price in an open market , all l want to do is stay at my beloved pattenmakers , lm sorry if you feel that we are exaggerating but l can promise you lm not , strange how the rent has been dropped already that should tell you something about how enterprise operate , take a look at the riflemens in belper now closed and up for sale .2 years ago it was a thriving pub but the rent went up and they couldnt afford to stay, another example is the station inn on midland rd derby dave had been there 28 years just before xmas he just walked away from it , he has lost thousands and he is a broken man ,all l want is to be able to secure a future for my staff , you are welcome to take a look at my books last year my drawings were 12000 pounds on which l have to pay 1200 tax and ni , lve always tried to be honest and hide nothing so please dont think we are trying to pull a fast one , my accountants and dave mountford will be more than happy to talk to you as would l, love claire x

Derby Chris

2014-01-13 12:21

Wonderful pub. Best for miles around. It can't close. It MUST stop open and run by Claire & Emily. Please attend the public meeting on 31st Jan if you can.
Derby Chris

2014-01-13 12:30

Just had a look at E.I. Website.They've even got the cheek to use all the hard work that Claire & Emily have done to advertise the pub!!! Quote from website advert
"Currently well known for its extensive range of cask ales and recently included in the Good Beer Guide, the pub draws in a discerning customer"

The beer quality (and food) doesn't appear by magic. It's down to the hard work & quality of licencees & staff. Doubt whether it'll be as good if new people move in.

2014-01-13 19:05

Keep the Patternmakers open!

2014-01-18 09:08

Am totally disgusted at the enormous price hike that Claire has received. I would sincerely hope that the pub company would see sense and reduce this amount to an acceptable level.

2014-01-18 18:16

The big greedy pubco's ruin publicans lives and are responsible for ruining the once great British Pub industry! All because the big Pubco's are totally broke so they are desperate for cash and get it any which way by hook or by CROOK! Their tenants are squeezed of every penny until they can no longer survive in business. The churning of tenants continues costing the government a fortune! The only way is FOT MRO. Roll on stat code!

2014-01-20 21:39

All communities need a good pub to bring them together and The Pattenmakers is just that - a good pub bringing a community together. The Team at the pub should be congratulated and rewarded for their tireless work rather than this shocking treatment.

2014-01-20 22:16

Scott has made a massive effort to turn this pub around. It really is a propper pub. The brewery should be discussed with themselves if they think this is how success should be acknowledged. Shame shame shame.
Tim

2014-01-24 15:48

A fantastic team behind the bar can make a fantastic pub; without that team a fantastic pub can go back to being an ordinary and unsuccessful one. There many examples in this area. Some Pubcos ignore the evidence - the reasons they ignore the evidence we have to guess, but I certainly would not want to risk taking on a lease from one of those that do so.

2014-02-03 15:11

The Pattenmakers is a great pub which will potentially be ruined if the increase in rent goes ahead

2014-02-04 12:20

Good luck with this petition
Derby Chris

2014-02-05 12:13

Some interesting claims on E.I website.
"Our pubs are at the heart of local business and community life"
"Access to the finest support from day one"
"Flexible agreements designed to suit individual needs"

Yes, quite, but I can't see where!!

2014-02-06 09:53

The Pattenmakers was the first pub I ever went in back in 1960 something. Pubs are such an important part of the community and Enterprise and their competitors need to recognise this. I wish this campaign all the very best.

2014-02-06 12:30

We want more Pubs like this one,not less!

2014-02-08 14:39

I have already seen the effects of Enterprise Inns rent hikes and well above market rate prices drive a pub I used to visit in Heage into closure. I do not want to see this happen to another pub in the area.

2014-02-12 12:59

Our pubs are our heritage which is loved and appreciated by millions in the UK and abroad. Save the Patternmakers in Duffield and the Bulls Head in youlgrave from wanton corporate greed. Unity is strength publicans of the uk unite, you have nothing to lose!!!
Local Drinker

2014-02-20 12:13

Went in for first time last week after hearing that it's won country pub of year. very well deserved and best pub for miles.