Protect the Elham Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Protect the Elham Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

2015-04-30 11:41

To save the beautiful Elham Valley which is in the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This is under threat by Shepway who have outrageously issued a licence for a 45 pitch caravan park where 'tourists' can stay (i.e. live) for 11 months of the year.

2015-04-30 11:49

Because I work in the elham valley, its a beautiful place & it would be a shame to ruin such a beautiful spot

2015-04-30 12:57

As a local resident for over 50 years I am horrified at the proposal for this site - in effect 45 families could live there permanently - surely this is over intensification of a very small site?

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-04-30 13:10

2015-04-30 13:12

Its about time the local councils in Kent grew a pair!  Too much pastureland. meadowland and areas of outstanding beauty are being lost to developers who don't give a jot about the stress and destruction their relentless devouring of land causes. Just as guilty are local authorities in all areas of England who want to move their own parasites to areas where the councils are weak and unable/unwilling to resist the influx of scroungers and 'travellers'.  

2015-04-30 13:18

I fully believed that a short stay touring campsite for tourists with touring caravans, camper vans or tents was what had been authorised. This would bring a little bit more trade to the local village pubs and shop which are struggling to survive. I would not and never would agree to a full hard standing over an area which floods and requires natural drainage. This type of development is not just inappropriate but plain madness. This is a serious health hazzard with the drains flooding and foul sewage escaping. The facilities required to service a community of this size do not exist on this site. I believe the owner is pulling the wool over the planners eyes and fully intends to establish a Gypsy Camp. The road is not suitable where it passes the site for this sort of volume of use. I could go on but the Council needs to put a stop to this NOW!! And explain itself. Yours faithfully, R. Blake-Jelley.

2015-04-30 13:25

Disagree with the caravan site being proposed!

2015-04-30 14:46

Because this development will be the consumate "Blot on the Landscape"

2015-04-30 15:06

I signed this before I fully understood what was going on. Have friends who live very close and know the land owners well. Its a good idea, a campsite, heaven forbid! The only thing that I can see is upsetting people is the 11 month bit, honestly stop worrying they won't be gippo's, holiday goers! Bring some income and interest into the village/valley. Stop being nimby's.

2015-04-30 15:15

The approach to planning and consultation seems to have been completely dis-regarded. This is not appropriate for the area, nor is the site itself appropriate. Shepway - this needs serious reconsideration before continuing.

2015-04-30 15:17

There are some places that are suitable for a campsite but this is not one of them. It is extraordinary that local residents were not consulted on this very contentious decision. This an AONB and campsites always deteriorate into an untidy eyesore. The immediate area will be ruined if this development is allowed.

#87 Re:

2015-04-30 15:49

#84: -  

Do you really know the land owners? The field has been sold twice since it belonged to the Palm Tree Inn.

2015-04-30 15:55

Because I think some caravans at this site would be most unattractive to a glorious valley in Kent.

2015-04-30 16:15

it is an area of outstanding Natural Beauty!!!!
That is why!!!!!

2015-04-30 16:33

As a driver the width of the valley road is narrow and caravans in particular hazard a danger.
The valley is a great attraction as an area of outstanding beauty and that field in particular has flooded over the past 37 years since we have lived here.

#91 Re:

2015-04-30 16:52

would love to know who this is? Go and have a look at the site..... Hardly a holiday camp is it?! If it is to be it'll be the most depressing rough down and out holiday camp in the south!!

2015-04-30 17:16

The Elham Valley has always been an area of outstanding beauty . A permanent caravan park is totally inappropriate for the valley and will be on a field which is liable to flooding in winter. Concerns are also for the contamination of the river and traffic problems on the road especially as there is a bus stop nearby.

2015-04-30 19:14

I live in the valley and do not think this development is appropriate. There are many places for tourists to stay when visiting and anyone wishing to stay for a period of 11 months cannot really claim to be a tourist. A caravan site would certainly detract from the area's outstanding beauty. One can only assume that it is being constructed for financial gain.

This post has been removed by its writer (Show details)

2015-04-30 19:19

2015-04-30 19:28

Very concerned about this development

#96 Re:

2015-04-30 20:04

Do you really think that this will bring trade to the valley? I can hardly see people holidaying on the site doing their weekly shop in the Elham Village Shop - they're far more likely to go to Canterbury, Hythe or Folkestone to buy their disposable BBQs and crates of beer!

#97 Re: Re:

2015-04-30 20:06

#94: - Re:  

this is a rather unhelpful comment in the current situation - this is a serious petition that will be submitted to SDC.

#98 Re: Re: Re:

2015-04-30 20:40

#97: - Re: Re:  

I thought it was quite funny ...

2015-05-01 04:03

This does not seem like a sustainable development nor would it be appropriate given the likelihood of flooding, lack of sewage/wastewater facilities and could lead to pollution of the local waterway and environment. The road is a dangerous stretch and there is inadequate safety measures planned given the increase in traffic entering/exiting the site. Also lack of appropriate screening from road. There is also a lack of places in local primary schools should children be living on the site.

2015-05-01 06:29

The valley is a stunning open space and a development would be an improper use of an AONB