Justice 4 Deafblind Guidedog Owner Molly Watt - age 17

Quoted post

2011-12-12 19:22

I highly advise contacting the Equality and Human Rights Commission if you haven't already done so. This situation is atrocious.

145: "all because someone else believes their needs are more important than another person's life" The school is favouring someone with an allergy (which could be controlled with medication) whilst denying Molly access to her guide dog which in turn could harm Molly due to making her deal with stairs without Unis. As for the white stick, people have to be trained how to use them properly. Part of owning a guide dog is the independence gained, relying on friends defeats the purpose.

148: "not once did you consider the impact that this has on the other pupils of the school" Words fail me.

Replies

Anon

#154 Re:

2011-12-12 23:22:06

#151: -

Guest, it is my understanding that a person must have cane skills already in order to qualify for a guide dog, for the precise reason that if anything happens to the dog even temporarily (illness, operation), the person won't be left without stranded. But I'm willing to stand corrected.

I'm afraid Jane lost me at the comment about Molly's refusing to use a cane because she is "fashion conscious."  Comments like that will not help Molly and only serve to alienate people who would otherwise be sympathetic to Molly's situation.  If that is the sort of reasoning presented to the school in arguing Molly's case, I'm not surprised it went down like a ton of bricks.