Save Ewell Playing Fields

rod

/ #191 My planning objection

2014-04-29 22:01

This was my first planning objection at the age of 33. There were many more points such as the cricket usage in summer that would be lost and the local schools who use this on a regular basis but I ran out of characters. I really hope the council sees how important this site is and makes the right decision.

Dear Epsom & Ewell,

I have been using these playing fields since the age of 12 and attended Salesian College Battersea. I as are many people from the local community and across london are extremely concerned with what has been happening over the sale and planning on this cherished site.

I will try and outline my key concerns:

A) I fully support the care of the elderly but why would we destroy such a wonderful ancient open green space to build a carehome. There must be alternatives available such as brownfield sites where construction could take place that would
regenerate rather than degrade.

B) According to the telegraph 1 school playing field is sold off every 3 weeks under the current government. In my opinion this is extremely short sighted and is a terrible long term strategy. If this continues there will be no green spaces for future generations. The plans submitted reduce the playing fields considerably, build on the best football pitch which is of near premier league level and evict the rightful custodians of the club Old Salesian FC who are Ewell through and through.

C) Now on to my third point. Old Salesians FC. I have had the privilege to coach a youth side this year the 6th team and witness the remarkable work of Old Salesians FC. The club has 7 teams including a VETS team. There are even fathers and sons still playing at the club and the players are of all ages, backgrounds. It is an amazing site to see the clubhouse with people young and old side by side where in our modern society it is quite hard to reach young people, we have a vehicle to engage them, teach them discipline, sportmanship and respect.

Any planning should secure the future of OSFC for another 80 years. I believe we are to be evicted at the end of the season.

Yours faithfully,