Bring Magnum Home
Contact the author of the petition
This makes me so sad to read. Having depression does not make someone an incompetent caretaker. Not to mention that unlike human children, animals don't get kept alive until they've found a nice foster family, so this might be hard for the author of this petition but even harder for Magnum.
If anything, if someone has depression, the last thing you should do is make their life harder. And if you take away their companion, aka their source of strength through whatever dark times they may be experiencing, you have done one of the worst things possible to make their life harder. From the dog's point of view, they probably aren't going to end up with a family that takes as good care of them as what they are used to, assuming they end up with a family.
I hope you and Magnum are reunited ASAP!! Good luck. :-)
I consider this clear discrimination under the human rights act on the grounds of treating the owner of this dog unfairly because he received treatment for a mental health problem. The room that was untidy was not used by either the owner or the dog, not that this is reason enough to perminantly remove the dog from a caring owner. It's nothing more than mental health stigma & discrimination without cause.
Get a grip
I don't want to criticise people who are motivated by animal welfare. BUT, we need some sense of proportion. The dog is primarilay an animal driven by emotion and it looks and sounds like this dog will be suffering from the separation as much as his owner clearly is. I have first hand experience of how much positive effect a relationship with a dog can have on mental health. Why cause such distress to both parties? Surely it's cheaper and more effective to give them both some support and watch them enjoy each other?
Magnum features heavily in my Twitter feed, posts including pictures and what he's been up to with his human who I understand suffers from depression, the posts are up beat, Magnum looks healthy and sports one of the biggest dog grins I've seen. I have to ask myself would someone who takes the time to do this be neglecting his dog? I think these two need each other, and Magnum's Dad needs support in overcoming his illness. As we know pets are one of the best therapies around.
The RSPCA isn't a law enforcement agency, it's a CHARITY. And technically, dogs are a person's property. So how is it that a charity can take someone's property and refuse to return it? Something is very wrong here.
| This discussion has been closed. |