Army Rebasing at Larkhill South of The Packway

Army Rebasing at Larkhill South of The Packway / Announcements / we are at 367 let's get to 540! / Comments

Salisbury Sorcerer

#1 Surely there is somewhere else!

2014-03-14 17:18

The Infrastructure barely maintains the volume of people already here, since the 2 New Developments @ both Avon Fields and Archers Gate.

There are Insufficient Pre-School & Primary Places here in Durrington as it is and whilst Avon Valley Sports College may be able to cater for Secondary School Pupils, the Area will struggle for School Placement for our Younger Children.

The Local Tesco, ONLY just caters for the area now, but with all these New families wishing to use Tesco as well wimeanena the Store will be pushed to its Limits and Beyond. There are already maoccasionsons when Tesco has shelves reminiscent of Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard, but moving these families here will serve to exacerbate this situation.

2014-03-18 09:57

As an ex service daughter and ex service wife, I have no issues with the Army expanding in the area however I do think there has been NO thought as to how the infrastructure will support this. The schools will not cope despite what has been said as many of the schools do not have the resources to deal with this influx unless we have schools full of portacabins! The village of Durrington will be swamped and heaven help those people who live on the Netheravon Road if Married Quarters are built at the back of their homes as there will be cuts swathed through into the village itself causing problems for those people that live the Larkhill side of the village and those that have allotments on the road.
There is NOTHING at all for people to do in Durrington and the surrounding area, whether it be nursery, youth activities or anything for adults. Children will spend their time hanging around street corners or the recreation ground (like they already do), Amesbury will be full to the brim as it's where the pubs are and there will be a lot of social issues with the town being full on the evenings. The Amesbury Tesco will not manage either as even I have started shopping in Andover because often Amesbury Tesco do not have full stock.
I think that despite people asking what the locals in Durrington and Amesbury might want, I feel that like everything a decision will be taken, probably by local councils, without a moments thought to those that live in the surrounding areas, particularly those like myself who have lived here most of their life.
I hope the Army are able to make a sensible decision over this and locate the MQs so the families are part of Larkhill camp and not spilled over into Durrington which is rapidly losing it's identity as a village and being squeezed between the surrounding camps. Perhaps Durrington will become part of Larkhill if proposals to locate the MQs next to the houses on the Netheravon Road goes ahead.
The Army has a huge amount of land between Larkhill and The Bustard Crossing and this would have no impact on the village although personally I think the area opposite the Larkhill Garrison church would be far more suitable despite moans that its going to ruin the view of the solstice at Stonehenge