Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill

Contact the author of the petition

This discussion topic has been automatically created of petition Save the Solstice Sunrise - Army Basing Plan for Larkhill.

2014-03-31 22:09

I can't actually believe this will go ahead - it seems so nonsensical. There is enough land away from great, ancient national monuments to build homes on... I understand it may be practically viable, but it would be morally, aesthetically, culturally, socially and politically wrong.

2014-03-31 22:12

I'm glad to sign to stop one of the undeniable crimes that contemporary mankind is committing against its own roots

2014-03-31 22:21

When My son went to the UK he sent me back wonderful photos of your lovely Stonehenge, and now you are killing it literally.
Building houses on the horizon is ridiculous, how daft are you people!

2014-03-31 22:29

don't turn every little thing into "Southend-On-Sea" - England is beautiful with fantastic heritage and plenty of other empty land - keep this site as pure as possible by keeping "Disney" out !!!!!

2014-03-31 22:41

For thousands of years our most ancient monument has marked the midsummer solstice sunrise...now it is proposed to literally put a blot ....of blocks of buildings ..on the landscape.thereby rendering Stonehenge no longer fit for purpose.Blind Ignorance undoing the knowledge left to us by our ancestors.(retired Archdruidess
)
Matty

2014-03-31 22:45

Surely you have other places you can build the housing, please use them instead - you'll be doing a great disservice to British heritage, history, tourism and identity. How does the MOD and government look if it is seen to not even honour its own history, treasures or landmarks nor the requests of its own people, when there are clearly many alternatives and no reason why this site should be essentially picked - and how will this make the British Government look to other powers and more importantly, it's own citizens? Please avert this course of action.

2014-03-31 22:49

This site is revered throughout the entire world, and the tourism produced by that is a huge financial resource. Meaning. . . nothing can justify interfering with the site and its environment.

2014-03-31 22:57

What's next ppl?

2014-03-31 23:03

They really are trying to take all the value out of the experience of Stonehenge. Houses can be built elsewhere. Our ancient heritage monument with alignments to specific sunrises and other important alignments cannot be moved. Stop this ludicrousy. Stop spoiling our heritage.

2014-03-31 23:18

There is another petition, with nearly ten thousand signatures!
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-mod-from-building-at-stonehenge-resulting-in-blocking-out-the-sunrise

Simon will want you to sign this too

2014-03-31 23:35

Please show some common sense and respect our heritage.

2014-03-31 23:39

The protected area around Stonehenge should be extended, building on fields in areas near barrows should be stopped. The horizon should not be affected by modern developments, this should extend towards Amesbury, Durrington and Boscombe Down. Once developed the land will never be returned to it's original state and the environment changed irreparably forever, the people that built the monuments have gone but the land should be respected so that others may appreciate and reflect on it's importance and also it's place in their lives.

2014-03-31 23:41

I may never get to visit, but knowing our world heritage is being protected by active world citizens from mindless bureaucrats is heartening. Even though we will lose. Read "A Canticle for Leibowitz".

2014-03-31 23:56

stonhenge has been here for a long time and should not be ruined by the current housing proposal.

2014-04-01 00:11

Please hear and value these objections, they are valid and written for a profound reason.

2014-04-01 00:19

It would be a tragedy if these plans were to come into effect.

2014-04-01 00:31

No house there please.
Kind regards,
Marthy.

2014-04-01 00:55

I completely concur with what Graham Hancock is voicing as concerning the disruptive housing complex.

2014-04-01 01:23

What in the hell are the UK government, and the MoD in particular, thinking?!!! This is an extremely important world heritage site and they're treating it with no respect whatsoever. However, this is to be expected of Tory governments, anywhere. More worried about their little, pathetic and narrow concerns than with anything else. Despite their schooling, most of them are as dumb as bat feces and what little common sense any of them have isn't worth keeping. They should be ashamed of themselves.

2014-04-01 01:45

asking for money makes me dubious of the petition

2014-04-01 02:15

Many Druids and Pagans hold the Solstice in their hearts as a special day, a religious rite at a sacred site, so to speak. And for millennia they have been acknowledging their beliefs at the very special place that is Stonehenge. Doing anything to destroy this celebration of the wheel of the year would be, in our eyes, tantamount to bulldozing Westminster Abbey to build a car park.
Please, don't destroy the heritage of our country, please let the celebration of the Solstice continue exactly as it always has been, without the disruption and changes planned.

2014-04-01 02:35

x

2014-04-01 02:57

It is absurd to build a housing development anywhere near this spiritual site.

2014-04-01 03:00

Whoever built Stonehenge had the imagination, intelligence and vision to align it's construction in such a way that the sun was visible in a specific way on the solstice. The MOD have the ignorance, sacrilege and short sightedness to align the construction of their flats in just the right way to obscure the sun on the solstice.
How sad and ridiculous.

2014-04-01 03:22

To be a marker of modern human stupidity instead of Solstice sunrise....brilliant legacy! (Make sure your name is on a plaque on the buildings that obscure the view.)